Friday, July 31, 2009

What A Mess



I went riding yesterday. It wasn't as easy as it sounds. I had to go run the horses out of the shed and then to the gate (that they have knocked down) and run them up to the barn. I was able to get a good look at Lilly when she was in the crossties. She was a complete mess! From her knees down on her front legs and her hocks down on her back legs she was swollen, red, and her hair was gone. She had terrible scabs and some bleeding also. When I checked her on Wednesday she was fine. Her nose also had some sunburn. I do have to keep sunscreen on her during the summer because she has pink skin and burns easily. But, her legs are a different matter. I know horses can get "scratches." Basically a fungus from the area they're living in being too wet. That's not the case in her pasture. Some white horses get are photosensitive and react badly to harsh sunlight. Could it be that? Maybe. Or, fire ants (pire ants: according to Noah. I haven't seen ANY fire ants in that pasture. WHAT IS GOING ON! I washed her with cold water and the swelling went down. I put medication all over her and then some face protection for flies and sunscreen. She looks ridiculous. I'll check her today if the weather isn't too bad. If she isn't improved I'm bringing her in the barn. She hates it but she doesn't have choice.

Quote of the Day: "In the Schrute family we believe in a five-fingered intervention. Awareness. Education. Control. Acceptance. And punching." -Dwight Schrute

3 comments:

Carroll said...

I bet Scout gnaws on her legs when no one is looking...

the infamous john frederic said...

I'm shocked that aari isn't to blame somehow, although rach did say something about getting rid of a horse so she could get another. i never would have guessed it would be her own horse.

babyarnie said...

That post made me tired. No wonder I hate horses now...