Monday, October 03, 2005

To The Fallen

Photo by Oldsoul1864
Photo by www.kimshockey.com/cw/thirdday.html

"Far away to the front, I saw the dim outlines of lofty hills, broken rocks, and frightful precepts which resembled Gettysburg. As we advanced further, I found we were fighting that great battle over again and I saw something before me like a thin shadow which I tried to get around and go by. But it kept in front of me and whichever way I turned, it still appeared between me and the enemy. Nobody else seemed to see or notice the shadow which looked as thin as smoke and did not prevent my seeing the enemy distinctly through it. I felt troubled and oppressed but still the shadow went on before me. I pushed forward in the thickest of the fray trying to lose sight of it and went all through the battle of Gettysburg again with this shadow forever before me and between me and the enemy.

And when I came out behind the danger of shot, it spoke to me and said, "I am the angel that protected you. I will never leave nor forsake you."

The surprise was so grest, that I awoke and burst into tears. What had I done that should entitle me to such favor beyond the hundreds of brave and reputed men who had fallen on that day leaving widowed mothers and widowed wives, orphaned children and disconsolate families to mourn their fates?"

Captain Henry T. Owen
Speaking of a dream in a letter to his wife
Six Months after Pickett's Charge
Gettysburg Audio Tour as Read by Wayne Motts
Travelbrains, Inc
www.brotherswar.com/Civil_War_Quotes_41.htm

For the next few days I'll be posting some of the photos we took at Gettysburg this past weekend. It was my very first visit to the battlefield, and it was a very moving experience. Although we spent nearly 3 days touring the site there was still so much that I wasn't able to see. It would take about a week to get it all in. It was without a doubt one of the best events I've ever been able to attend (4.5 mile walk and all). It was really hard to grasp what actually happened there. The guys in the regiment did an awesome job, especially in the woods (I have pictures) at the 24th Michigan monument. It was erie listening to the reenactors charge through. I guess you just had to be there. One of those things I'll never forget.


2 comments:

Rachael said...

Wahoo!!! I love pictures!!

Joy said...

can't wait to see the pictures....- sniff ;) wish I would have gone