Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lost and Found

I couldn't find Cole this morning. Lilly was standing patiently waiting for her hay. She kept looking over her shoulder trying to find him. I freaked out and prepared myself for the long walk up the hill to find poor Cole lying there because of some horrible accident. Just as I was about to unlock the gate he came thundering up from parts unknown (or the part of the fenceline I can't see) mad because I hadn't called ahead to let him know breakfast would be waiting. It reminded me of why I love horses so much. I may have posted this before but here goes anyway:

When you are tense, let me teach you that there are dragons in the forest, and we need to leave NOW.

When you are short tempered, let me teach you how to slog around the pasture for an hour before you can catch me.

When you are short sighted, let me teach you to figure out where, exactly, in the 40 acres I am hiding.

When you are quick to react let me teach you that herbivore's kick MUCH faster than omnivores.

When you are angry, let me teach you how well I can stand on my hind feet, because I don't FEEL like cantering on my right lead today, that's why.

When you are worried, let me entertain you with my mystery lameness, GI complaint, and skin disease.

When you feel superior, let me teach you that, mostly, you are the maid service.

When you are self-absorbed let me teach you to PAY ATTENTION. I TOLD you about those dragons in the forest.

When you are arrogant, let me teach you what 1200lbs of a YAHOO-let's-go horse can do when suitably inspired.

When you are lonely, let me be your companion.

Let's do lunch. Also, breakfast and dinner.

When you are tired, don't forget the 600lbs of grain that needs to be unloaded.

When you are feeling financially secure, let me teach you the meaning of "Veterinary Services, additional".

When you need to learn, hang around, bud. I'll learn ya.

-Mary Green

2 comments:

Carroll said...

Silly old Cole...

azulalegria said...

very very sweet