Friday, January 12, 2007

Stinker


Cole and I didn't have the greatest ride yesterday. I've done so well keeping him in shape without overworking him. So, I give him a day off to rest and the next day I ride him he tries to kill me. I took him back to the round pen to lunge him to get some energy out. He was so nuts I had to unclip him from the lunge line and let him go. He ran as hard as he could forever and completely tore up the ground in the pen. I was sure he was going to break all of his legs. He finally wore himself out and walked back up to me puffing and sweating. I saddled/bridled him and rode him around the pen...and guess what...he did great. I wore my helmet anyway just to be on the safe side. He's such a stinker. I'm pretty sure he needs to be on a nerve pill. I've only had one other horse who's acted this crazy and he had good reason. He was never completely trained to ride. And, I sold him. But, we'll try it again tonight. Only this time we'll start in the warm-up pen.

P.S.- I went through my old horse show ribbons last Saturday cleaning out my tack room. Talk about flashbacks! I found my very first ribbon I ever won along with clips of hair from my horses that have died. It was so cool to go back and read the names and classes on the back of the ribbons and remember the horses I used to ride and show. Many of the horses died years ago. Martha and I are heading to Michael's this weekend to find ways to make shadowboxes and preserve the great memories I have connected with all my horse stuff.

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a horse," or, "that's a lot of money for "just a horse".

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "
just a horse."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "
just a horse." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a horse," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "
just a horse,' ...If you, too, think it's "just a horse," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"
Just a horse" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a horse" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "
just a horse" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a horse" but an embodiment of all
the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the
pure joy of the moment.

"
Just a horse" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away. I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a horse" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a woman/man."

So the next time you hear the phrase "
just a horse" just smile, because they "just" don't understand.

13 comments:

Carroll said...

if you need help with shadowboxes, give me a call...I have extensive experience...just ask John.

Lydia said...

Or you could scrapbook:) You can do a page for each ribbon/ newspaper clipping. They have really GREAT horse scrapbook paper. I want to get you some every time I find some. You should do a whole scrapbook dedicated to your shows and stuff. Talk to Martha, we'll get together. She can do a Noah book, you can do a horse book, I can finish my 2006 album. Anyone else up for a scrapbooking party?

Rachael said...

That would be great. Count me in!!

Anonymous said...

I'm up for it!

Anonymous said...

QuietX

Goingintoalltheworld said...

If you, too, think it's "just a horse," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

Wow. I've read some tripe in my life, but good grief!

PS - This is not meant to imply that the writer dislikes horses in any way. Aforementioned writer has no ill will toward the writer of this blog or her love for equines, and shall not be liable for any emotional damages, punitive or otherwise, that may result from the misinterpretation of any of his remarks. He merely wishes to suggest a potential overstatement by the author of the poem quoted in said blog, and does not wish his statements to be interpreted as anything other than simply this.

babyarnie said...

Willard, you are treading on dangerous ground my friend :)

Anonymous said...

I'm writing a poen right now titled "Just a Luck Dragon"

Anonymous said...

I had myself a little flashback when I hopped on Cole's back behind you for a short ride to my house from the road over Christmas...of course, the flashback occurred after I grabbed you in a strange place while we begged him not to throw us off.
I flashed back to the good ol' days when we used to beg you to ride horses, and I almost always ended up behind someone on Reuben. That means my rear ended up soggy from horse sweat. If only you could have some of THAT in your shadowboxes.
I wouldn't change it for a thing!

Lydia said...

Ok, everyone, give your schedules for this month. We are doing a scrapbook party...also known as a "CROP." Are weekdays or weeknights best?

Rachael said...

Rubberband!.....I remember those days. Poor ole Ruben. He put up with a lot from us. Those were the best times ever!!

Anonymous said...

anytime is good for me!

Lydia said...

ok, 9am on Monday at FBC. Cora and I are finishing the album from the women's retreat LAST year. Anyone can join us!