Friday, January 19, 2007

Ole McJohn Bought A Horse...

Today, I got to do my favorite "hobby" thing in the world. No, I didn't buy myself a horse. Today, I did my second favorite "hobby" thing in the world. I helped a friend buy a horse. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to pry John's wallet away from him. But just in case, I had Martha with me.

I shall now present to you...Scout.




This is one of the only babies (that I know of ) from the late 2001 Spotted Saddle horse World Grand Champion Lethal's Delight of Pride. Years ago I did have the opportunity to ride his daddy (you can shake my hand and congratulate me later). So, when I heard one of his babies was for sale I jumped on it. Ok, I made John jump on it. He has more money than I do. All-in-all, John is pretty good at buying horses. He isn't like me. If I see something I like I have a hard time playing it cool. As far as a first horse goes I think he hit the nail on the head. We'll know for sure in about 2 months when Scout is turned over to me to finish his formal training. Helmet and bubble wrap here I come.

John, I'm proud of you. Just remember the number one rule: "A horse is only afraid of two things - things that move and things that don't."


Horse terminology that John learned from his first horse buying experience:

Event Prospect = Big Fast Horse
Dressage Prospect = Big Slow Horse
Hack Prospect = Pretty Color
Sporting Prospect = Short Fast Horse
Camp Prospect = Fast Horse which can turn
Endurance Prospect = Fast Horse which will turn sometimes
Flashy = White Socks
Attractive = Bay
15.2hh = 14.3hh
16.2hh = 15.3hh
To Loving Home Only = Expensive
To Show Home Only = Very Expensive
Needs Experienced Rider = Potentially Lethal
Elegant = Thin
In Good Condition = Foundered
Free Moving = Bolts
Quiet = Lame in Both Front Legs
Dead Quiet = Lame in All Four Legs
Good in Traffic (Bombproof) = Lame all Round, Deaf and Blind
Loves Children = Kicks and Bites
Pony Type = Small and Hairy
Arab Type = Looks startled
TB Type = Looks Terrified
Quarter Horse Type = Fat
Warmblood Type = Big and Hairy
Draft Type = Big and Exceedingly Hairy
Easy to Catch = Very Old
Reluctant to Sell = Sale Comes with Title Deed to Golden Gate Bridge

All Offers Considered = I am in Traction for 6 months

7 comments:

babyarnie said...

HA!! I think I used a few of those terms years ago when I tried to sell Spice. We horse people are all the same. And to John Juan.... you did good. You didn't even faint when you wrote the check. Now that you're a horse owner, GET USED TO IT !! :) But really, he's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

John, what a beauty! Congratulations on your big step. I hear her new home is a beauty too. I want a tour. [FYI--Watch out for Rachael if she starts toward Scout with a tiny little brush and comb and assorted ribbons. His mane is lovely and she might try her "My Little Pony" hair treatments on him. YOu might want to put camo on him just to be safe.] Good for you! Ms. Jenny

Carroll said...

How exciting! I can't wait for the day that John tries to shoot from his back for the first time. We'd better have the video camera (and an ambluance) standing by...

Lydia said...

He is a lovely horse (not that I know ANYTHING about horses). I enjoyed all the teminology! John, now that you own a horse, no trying to get Kimberly to sweet-talk me into buying one for her.

Joy said...

What a pretty boy! Good job to you all: Rach, Marth, and especially John. Can't wait to meet him!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

hebrawner@yahoo.com said...

I bred and raised Lethal's Delight Of Pride. This is the only get of his I have seen. Howdy Scout. Scout is the 4th generation as I owned and bred his dam and grand dam all back to Tennessee Pride who was one of the first brood mares I bought 30+ years ago. Scout, you make me proud! hebrawner