Monday, February 28, 2005

Ole Velcro Butt


A true test of friendship is being able to spend the entire summer with someone and not killing them. This is one of my good friends Blake and his horse Sonny. We spent many summers training our horses together at a barn nearby. Blake is one of those dependable guys that you have to watch out of the corner of your eye or you might get hit by a flying object. One of his favorite things was throwing unwanted Bojangles particles at unsuspecting victims riding at our barn. I found this photo way back in my computer files and just had to drag it up. Blake was commonly know as "Velcro Butt." There wasn't a horse he couldn't ride. I learned the hard way that when someone said, "Only Blake rides that horse," they weren't kidding.
Blake and I learned a lot from each other including how to speak without uttering a word. Facial expressions usually said it all. We were most famous for these three....

1) Oh my gosh. I can't believe they spent that much money for a horse that looks like that.
2) Run and hide before they make me ride this mule.
3) Your horse looks like crap but I'm going to smile and not tell you so you don't feel bad. (Which is my personal favorite...I got that look a lot)

We had many good times together. Blake is still a good friend even though we have both moved on and don't see each other as much. If we haven't spoken in awhile he always gives me a call just to check in. He also lets me drag him to horse shows to scream my number even when rule #3 applies...and I love him for it. I made him swear that one day we would get a barn and train together again. And you know what, I'm holding him to it.

"The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this?"

-Henry David Thoreau

7 comments:

Rachael said...

He might be nicer than me Hannah. But I have to get Tommy back first.

Anonymous said...

Great friendships, really great ones, are few and far between. This sounds like a keeper. There is merit in growing up together. You know who you both are and from whence you have come. J.

Joy said...

"a friend loveth at all times" - ya got it rach! I'm so proud to be your friend. Now as far as the 'velcro butt' and 'red pants butt'....

babyarnie said...

Hey, I remember Ole Velcro Butt!! We all had some great times together and I know that the Lord has something special in store for Blakey Poo!! However, Nancy did have some horses that could dislodge even the Master-Ole Velcro Butt!!
From: Mrs. Pita

Rachael said...

Hey smarty...it's PETA. Not Pita like Pita pocket. Don't worry. I'll have a t-shirt made so you won't forget!

Anonymous said...

It's getting way too mushy around here.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP webhosting Car cover cruiser pt hotel offers Forum and cruise ship crew Alabama company health insurance los angeles culinary school Prince tennis clothes Used wheel of fortune slot machine for sale