Friday, August 22, 2008

Improving the Truth



Improvement

Free cat to loving home. Good personality. Friendly. Loves to eat and be petted. Recently vetted. Has rabies shot and is FeLuk Neg. Will one day make a wonderful mother. Lived on farm with large house. Up to date on flea/tick treatment. Gets along well with other cats.


Truth

Free cat to loving home: To any home besides mine would be just great.
Good personality: If you put food in front of her you can scruff her and hold her.
Friendly: See "Good Personality."
Loves to eat and be petted: Starving to death when she was found. Will eat anything including small children and puppies.
Recently vetted: Rushed to the vet to check for all sorts of diseases that a human could catch from a cat. Massive worm infestation.
Has rabies shot and is FeLuk Neg.: Whew! That was a close one.
Will one day make a wonderful mother: Is about 1 week away from having between 3 to 600 kittens.
Lived on farm with large house: Abandoned by her former family to fend for herself in the nastiest old house on the planet while "mom and dad" moved into a gorgeous huge house down the road.
Up to date on flea/tick treatment: Seed ticks were falling like snow...but not anymore.
Gets along well with other cats: Can't tear the heads off of other cats while locked securely in a pet carrier.

I'm going to be blunt. I'm tired of this. People, when you take on a pet it's your responsibility. If you are planning to move in few years to an area that doesn't allow pets then reconsider adopting one. Cats can live up to 18 years or more. Dogs can live just as long. It is traumatic to a pet to relocate. It isn't always able to be helped but in most cases it is. If you do have to re home your pet, do it responsibly and for crying out loud don't just leave it. As much as we all would like to think that the cat or dog will go into the wild and live a carefree existence, it's just not the case. If your pet is really old, re homing it may not be an option at all. Your old pet wants to be with you. You may need to consider putting the pet to sleep while you are there with it. It isn't an easy decision to make but taking an old pet to a shelter is usually the last home the pet will have. The cat mentioned above, who is named Becky, was close to death and delivering kittens that she had no way to feed. She was eating grass and seeds to say alive. She will recover but it's going to take her awhile and my parents money to do it. Spay and neuter your pet. Make the appointment today before you forget. I have 3 to take. It's not cheap but it will save you a fortune down the road. If you have no pets but happen to find a stray, don't call the person with 8 million rescue animals to try to take it. Keep it yourself if you are financially able to house a pet. Ye ole "I just don't like cats" bit doesn't work on me anymore. LEARN to like cats. If my dad could to it, anyone can. He's the one who found this cat in the first place.

Today you have witnessed a Rachael rant. It was intended for no one specific. Everyone I know who reads this blog is a responsible pet owner. I'm hoping someone out there who stinks at pet ownership will come across this blog and be able to reap information that will prevent me from having to clean up their messes. And no, I'm not going to just look the other way while a pet starves. God didn't make me that way.

END RANT.

Quote of the Day:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you even went out to the meanest person on the planet's house to save that kitten she was trying to kill.

Anonymous said...

I hate cats and I don't have to learn to like them.

babyarnie said...

Rach..... Hurray for you being fed up. I DO wish people would be responsible human beings like God made us and treat animals and other people with respect. No I don't believe they are equal to humans but we, like them are all God's creation. We don't have to learn to like everyone or every creature but it is our responsibility to be good caretakers of what God has given us. Afterall, the Bible does say in Proverbs "A righteous man careth for his animal...." Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for cat people!
I just posted another reason to love kitties on our blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Abandoning a cat is no better than throwing a sack of kittens in the river. People are just ridiculous. They will let their snotty nosed kids run all over the grocery store manhandling the produce I'm about to buy but they can't be bothered with a tiny animal. I say we throw them in the river!

Hannah

Wandering Family said...

Rach, you mentioned that everyone who you know that keeps up with your blog is a reasonable animal caregiver. Have you forgotten J and his famous "shooting at the cat" episode or his "just shoot them" policy if they become a bother? That is why we will probably never own a pet.

Rachael said...

No. I haven't forgotten about J. I just chose not to mention him because our animal "policy" isn't the same. However, if this keeps up mine may change also. The cat has settled in and things seem to be looking up. At least until the billion kittens are born. An anonymous, you're getting a cat. Post your address since you won't post your name and I'll send one right over.

Wandering Family said...

Just to clarify (and this is J), I do not approve of abandoning your cats without food or care.

I don't have to like them, but that just means I won't get one, not that I'll get a cat and then leave it to starve. After all, a righteous man does care for his animals (even if that verse is commonly misinterpreted, it still carries a meaning of compassion).
In case my opinion wasn't clear from B's post.










Of course, if they bite you unprovoked, you are free to deal with them somewhat harshly, as long as it doesn't constitute abuse.

Rachael said...

J. I understand. I don't expect you to ever get a cat. But if you did I know that you wouldn't be mean to it. You were never mean to my animals...with the exception of Wommie...and she was the devil.