Monday, March 20, 2006

Sleepy Monday

Didn't get much sleep last night. Aari decided that she wanted to go down in history as my very first colic case. Not that I haven't had to deal with colic before. I've been around horses for a long time. But, this is my first,"on the family farm" case. Have you ever tried to keep a 1,000 pound animal on it's feet? Didn't think so. Well, I have. I finally surrendered and let her stay in a heap on the ground until the vet arrived. Apparantly, Aari is very dramatic. While she was acting like she was dying, she wasn't as bad off as we all thought she was. A little muscle relaxer, pain killer, and a big tube down the snout with mineral oil and she was ready to stand in the corner and be left alone. As everyone already knows, colic cases can be very bad. So, we alternated keeping an eye on her all night. Well, not so much all night. Just once every few hours. This morning she was dragging me out of the stall and running for the grass. I'm guessing she's recovered. Now all I have to do is go out in the freezing rain to check her tonight. Hmm...I procrastinate a few more minutes.

Point to ponder: If you buy a horse. Have money in a savings account. Your horse will never get sick at a convenient time. It will always be on the weekend, in the middle of the night, or on a holiday. Therefore, afterhours bills will apply. And, your horse knows that.

6 comments:

Joy said...

Has Aari been talking to Dandy? I think they are starting a cult or something. I told Martha I think it's time to get some Banamine to have on hand, just in case. Colic is too scary!

Carroll said...

I had colic when I was a baby. I don't think they tubed me with mineral oil, though.

Goingintoalltheworld said...

You know the saying about a boat being a hole in the water where you pour money? I think that horses are like holes in the pasture where you pour money. Plus, you get the added bonus of being bucked off when a truck drives by (see Martha, Asa, or pretty much anyone else who has ever ridden a horse).

Rachael said...

I need a picture of Flower so I can blog on him!!

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

> I don't think they tubed me with mineral oil, though.

Carroll, there's a reason that the Lord only allows our memories to go so far back. Otherwise we'd never look at our parents the same way again. If we only knew... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »