Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Vet/Ferrier Wars

The vet is on her way to my house this morning. Lilly found some way to cut her back hoof off of her foot. She was walking on her toe and her tendons were popping. I booted Scout from the stall to the round pen and Lilly took over the condo. After a frantic call to the ferrier (who assured me everything would be fine and he would come put a shoe on her this week) I calmed down and went to bed. This morning her leg was swollen and she was OBVIOUSLY lame. So, I called the vet. All I need is a massive infection, lamanitis, and then for her to go to that big pasture in the sky. I'll give updates as they come. I hope I don't have to give her shots. That's not in my job discription.

And my girl fish died. Who wants to volunteer to get her out of the tank? She's bigger than Lilly.

Scout update: He's pretty much the smartest horse I've ever seen. He plays with the huge silver tarp all by himself. I rolled him the orange traffic barrell and he rolled it back to me. We did that a few times and when he was tired of it he grabbed it in his teeth and stood it up so it wouldn't roll...then he ate grass. If Lilly croaks (which would be horrible) I'm keeping him.

**UPDATE**: An abscess blew out the side of her foot. I just have to soak it for a long time and stay off of her a few weeks until it grows out. I can't believe I didn't think of that! That's what happens when you panic. There was a guy who came out with the vet...I think he was a ferrier. He asked about Scout. While he was sitting in his truck before I got there he saw Scout, rolled down the window, and told him to go walk around the ring. Scout did it. The guy was pretty impressed. I sold him for the price of the vet bill.

8 comments:

Carroll said...

OH NO! Keep us posted...and let us know if anyone over there needs some Taco Bell...

Lydia said...

Sounds gross, poor horsie. ...and does John know that you sold his horse to pay the vet bill for your horse:)

Elizabeth said...

oh that's sad =(

Carroll said...

John's in the field until Sunday...with no access to phone or internet (insert maniacal laughter here).

Rachael said...

Carroll, give me a ring. Your dad wants me to check out something in the barn and if you need help with John's office we can do that too!

Rach

azulalegria said...

I'm missing out on so much! poor little horse...

Rachael said...

Joy, I have a present for you. Well, after this weekend I will. I'll ship it to you as soon as I get it.

Carroll said...

I wish you'd update your blog...